I never learned to crochet when I was growing up. My Grandma Mae was a big knitter so I learned to knit instead. Having recently taught myself to crochet a few simple stitches, I must say I’m hooked! I finished this up watching American Idol with my 12 year old last week. It’s warm and long and I love it!
Here’s what I did.
- Start by chaining until you have the length you want. My scarf is 80 inches long, without the fringe. I used a size N crochet hook and some bulky yarn I’ve had lurking in my closet.
- Single crochet in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain until the end.
- Chain 3 (counts as first double crochet), turn, work a double crochet in each stitch until the end.
- Chain 1, turn, work a single crochet in each stitch until the end.
- Repeat rows 3 and 4 until it’s the width you want. My scarf is about 5 inches wide.
- Add fringe to the ends if you like!
It’s long enough to wrap around your neck a couple of times and still be long enough.